Part-time work is a form of employment that requires fewer hours than full-time work, usually not exceeding 30 hours per week. However, it is up to the employer to set this upper limit. Part-time jobs come in all forms and are a great way to gain valuable work experience while still in school. Even if a part-time job is not directly related to your career objectives, these opportunities have the potential to help you develop essential transferable skills that are essential to succeeding in today’s work force.
Some types of part-time positions include:
- Federal Work Study
- Graduate Assistantships
- On-campus Jobs
- Positions with Local businesses or organizations
Benefits of Part-Time Work
Dedicating 10-20 hours on or off campus affords you:
- numerous opportunities to earn while you learn
- develop transferrable skills and demonstrate work competencies
- explore possible career options
- gain references and build winning content for your resume
Did You Know
Approximately 5.5 million people ages 18 to 24 years are engaged in part time work across the US according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.