What is a Micro Internship?
Micro internships are short-term, project-based assignments offered by organizations virtually. Projects can take anywhere from one week to a few months to complete and usually range from 10 to 40 hours of work. Projects are designed to be completed year-round and students are usually paid a fixed fee. Micro internships complement existing experiential learning and may appeal to those who do not have the financial or academic flexibility to re-locate for a full-time internship. Additionally, micro internships provide a scalable way for employers to engage with talent and students to get hands-on experience.
A micro internship connects students and alumni by engaging in meaningful work that benefits both the company and the candidate. Micro internships allow students to complete projects while simultaneously evaluating companies for future, full-time opportunities. Students can showcase their skills and work ethic to begin building their professional networks. Micro internships complement existing experiential learning and may appeal to those who do not have the financial or academic flexibility to re-locate for a full-time internship.
Benefits of Micro Internships
• Expand your resume by completing projects for a diverse array of companies
• Develop skills and competencies in different areas to attract potential employers
• Evaluate companies for future opportunities
• Build professional networks
• Improve academic outcomes and career readiness
How to Apply for Micro Internships
The University of Florida connects students and employers to micro internship opportunities through the Parker Dewey* platform. Follow these easy steps to apply for a micro internship.
• Click the link to the UF customized site
• Create an account in less than five minutes
• Complete your profile – Make sure to fill in all sections to best communicate your skills and abilities to prospective employers
• Begin searching for projects
Additionally, you can search Gator CareerLink to find more internship and micro internship opportunities.