We believe that experience changes everything. Trying things can help clarify your career goals. Gaining experience also makes you a marketable candidate for internships and jobs within your field. There are numerous options for gaining experience as a student, including: internships, co-ops, job shadowing, involvement, volunteering, research or part-time work. Experience helps you prepare for what’s next; whether you plan to go to graduate school or begin work following graduation.
Questions to Ask Yourself
- What kinds of things do you enjoy doing?
- Which types of experience will allow you to gain and hone the skills necessary for career success?
- How will you balance gaining experience with the time you have here at UF?
Using the Career Connections Center
- Log into Gator CareerLink for the latest job and internship postings from employers who want to hire UF students.
- Attend an ‘Employer Perspective’ workshop or an information session to learn what employers are looking for in a candidate directly from professionals.
- Register for our one-credit class ‘The Art of Getting Hired’ (IDS 2935) to learn a research-based, action-oriented, reflective process that can improve career success and employment outcomes.
- Attend career fairs to meet employers in your field. Notable career fairs include:
- Part-Time Job Fair
- Summer Experience Fair
- Career Showcase
- Numerous virtual career fairs that can be found in Gator CareerLink in the Workshop tab
- Come in for a one-on-one Career Planning Appointment, or a Career Conversation to learn effective resources and strategies for finding experience.
Discover more of the Career Action Plan:
Learn about Yourself and Career Options
Prepare for Your Next Steps